Extracted from the fragrant leaves of the oregano plant, Origanum vulgare, Oregano essential oil has made its way into cookbooks, cleaning cabinets, and supplements. Oregano essential oil is one of the most versatile and powerful essential oils. Oregano oil possesses a high concentration of both carvacol and thymol, two phenol chemicals with cleansing properties. Oregano essential oil uses both components to its advantage, making it one of the best household cleansing agents known to the essential oil world. Oregano essential oil can be taken internally to help support a healthy immune system and healthy digestion and respiratory function.*
Oregano essential oil is also an excellent source of antioxidants.* Other benefits of Oregano essential oil can be utilized when preparing and eating culinary dishes. Oregano’s herbaceous flavoring can be added to appetizers, entrees, and sauces to enhance an array of savory meals. Because of Oregano essential oil’s high phenol content, caution should be taken when diffusing or inhaling—only one to two drops are needed. When applied topically, Oregano essential oil should always be diluted with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil.
Oregano Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
- Oregano essential oil benefits many homemade cleaners in a big way. For a quick and easy all-purpose cleaner, put 10 drops of Oregano oil into a 16-ounce spray bottle with water. Due to Oregano’s chemical makeup, it is a powerful cleansing and purifying agent. This simple spray is great for surfaces and countertops, even natural stone.
- Support your body in the way it needs, when it needs it. One of the many Oregano essential oil benefits supporting a healthy immune system.* One drop taken daily can help maintain healthy immune function.* Oregano can be taken more frequently when seasonal threats are high or as needed to further boost immunity.* You can put two drops of Oregano oil in a veggie capsule to help support immune function.*
- Add a little flavor to your favorite Italian cuisine with some Oregano essential oil. Oregano oil is spicy and herbaceous and will add the perfect hint of flavor to spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, roasts, and much more. When your Italian recipes call for ground oregano, simply replace it with one drop of Oregano oil for a delicious seasoning. One drop of Oregano oil can replace one tablespoon of ground oregano.
- Take advantage of some more powerful Oregano essential oil benefits by adding one to two drops to a veggie capsule. Why? Oregano essential oil benefits overall health and can help support healthy respiratory function.*
- Enhance your meals by adding some Roasted Marinara Sauce infused with Oregano and Basil oils. You will be amazed at how something so delicious can be so easy to make. This simple and useful essential oil recipe does not include added sugars and is a delicious way to incorporate the many health benefits of tomatoes into your everyday food selections. This delicious sauce pairs well with pasta, pizza, breadsticks, and much more.
- Oregano essential oil is a rich source of antioxidants.* Antioxidants are essential to help protect the body from the oxidation of molecules. When molecules oxidize, they can create free-radicals that can lead to damaged cells. To help support your body with antioxidants and promote a healthy response to oxidation and free-radicals, take Oregano essential oil internally by diluting a drop in water and drinking or putting two drops into a veggie capsule and ingesting.*
- Know someone who is feeling under-the-weather or needing a delicious pick-me-up? Italian and Oregano Chicken Soup is the perfect healthy dish to bring them. Enriched with the tantalizing tastes of Italy, this essential oil recipe is filled with fresh vegetables, Ditalini pasta, and a hint of Oregano oil.
- Not only does Oregano essential oil promote healthy immune and respiratory function, it also supports healthy digestion.* Oregano essential oil supports healthy digestion by promoting the secretion of digestive juices.* When experiencing occasional digestive issues, take Oregano essential oil internally by diluting a drop in water and digesting or by putting two drops into a veggie capsule and ingesting.*
- One of the many Oregano essential oil uses is as a flavor-enhancer. Combining the piquant flavors of Oregano essential oil with Italian seasonings, this Italian Oil Bread Dip will have you craving more. This essential oil recipe is simply delicious and can be used as a dip for your favorite Italian breads. If you are putting together a special dinner for two, needing an appetizer for a party, or searching for an excellent side dish for a family gathering, this is an ideal choice.
- Have you ever heard the phrase “we’re better off together?” In Oregano and Peppermint oil’s case, it’s true! In a recent study, a group of Brazilian researchers reported that, at least in the cases they were looking at, Oregano and Peppermint oil worked better when used together. When two different substances like Oregano and Peppermint oil work to create a combined effect that is greater than the effects of the individual substance on their own, the result is called synergism. When using Oregano oil, use it alongside Peppermint oil for a more powerful result. To find out more about the synergism of other essential oils, visit the doTERRA Science Blog.
- Though Oregano essential oil is ideal for Italian dishes, it also makes a wonderful addition to cuisines from around the world. This Costa Rican Black Bean Soup with Oregano and Thyme essential oils is superb and combines some of the best spices and ingredients to create a delicious flavor that is sure to please. For a unique, cultural dish you can share with those around you, try this essential oil recipe.
The oregano plant, Origanum vulgare, is a bushy perennial that is part of the Lamiaceae family. The leaves of the plant are fragrant and are characterized by their rounded to ovate shape. This plant also produces tiny, pinkish-purple or white flowers. The oregano plant grows best in dry to medium moisture and well-drained soils. It thrives in full sun. doTERRA Oregano eseential oil is extracted from the leaves of this plant.
Chemistry of Oregano Essential Oil
Main Chemical Components: Carvacrol, thymol , para-cymene, γ-terpinene
All of the Oregano essential oil benefits come from it's chemistry. The main chemical component of Oregano essential oil is carvacrol. Carvacrol has a monoterpene backbone and is part of the phenols functional group. Carvacrol is a chemical that contains warming properties. Carvacrol, along with thymol, another main chemical constituent in Oregano essential oil, possesses cleansing and antioxidant properties.* The antioxidant properties contribute heavily to the rich source of antioxidants provided from Oregano oil.* To learn more about the chemical components of Oregano oil or other chemical constituents found in essential oils, visit the doTERRA Science Blog.
Oils that Blend Well with Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano oil blends well with Peppermint, Lavender, Basil, Rosemary, Bergamot, Cypress, Cedarwood, and Melaleuca (Tea Tree) essential oils for diffusion.
Where to Buy Oregano Essential Oil
To buy a pure bottle of Oregano, visit the Oregano essential oil product page.
Each batch of doTERRA essential oils is thoroughly and carefully tested through the CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® protocol. This protocol is composed of a variety of strict, scientific tests that assess the purity of doTERRA essential oils. If a batch of essential oils is tested and found pure, then it is packaged and released so that individuals and families everywhere can experience the powerful impact of pure and effective essential oils.
doTERRA places an emphasis on providing pure oils because pure oils are effective oils. Too often, essential oils available for purchase are diluted with filler substances or contaminants. Oils that are not pure decrease how effective the essential oils are and reduce their power and potential. To ensure that the oils doTERRA customers receive are effective and pure, doTERRA thoroughly and carefully tests their oils in order to produce quality oils that will yield beneficial results.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
Buy Oregano Now