Vetiver Oil Uses and Benefits
Essential Oil Spotlight
Essential Oil Spotlight
Vetiver Oil Product Description
The roots of the vetiver plant are unique in their ability to grow downward, creating a thick tangle of roots in the ground. The root of the hearty vetiver plant is the origin of Vetiver essential oil, and produces a fragrance that is earthy and strong. This aroma has been used among many perfume industries and is a notable characteristic of Vetiver essential oil. Vetiver oil is composed of multiple sesquiterpenes, allowing Vetiver oil to have a grounding effect on emotions. This grounding effect makes Vetiver oil a commonly used essential oil in massage practices and topical and aromatic uses. Vetiver essential oil can also be taken internally to support a healthy immune system.*
Where to Buy Vetiver Oil
To buy a potent and pure bottle of Vetiver, visit the Vetiver essential oil product page or order from a local doTERRA Wellness Advocate.
When buying essential oils, there are two factors that are crucial to consider—potency and purity. The more potent and pure an essential oil is, the higher its effect and the greater its ability to meet individual needs.
To obtain high potency in an essential oil, the plant of the essential oil must be grown and harvested in ideal temperatures, soil, and climate. With this in mind, doTERRA created Co-impact Sourcing® initiatives to guarantee that the plants they use for their essential oils are grown in their optimal environments by skilled, local artisans. These initiatives ensure strong potency of doTERRA oils and also provide a sustainable source of income for farmers worldwide.
With a mission to provide the highest standard of pure essential oils, doTERRA submits each batch of essential oils to the CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® protocol. This protocol contains a series of strict tests that prove the purity of each batch of essential oil. When the oils are found pure, they are sold so that people around the world can receive their benefits. When individuals purchase doTERRA essential oils, they can feel confident knowing that the oils they receive are pure, potent, and of the highest quality.
Vetiver Oil Uses and Benefits
- When experiencing anxious, unnerved, or stressed feelings, use Vetiver oil aromatically or topically. Vetiver essential oil is rich in sesquiterpenes, which contain grounding properties. When used on the skin or inhaled, Vetiver essential oil can help provide a calming and grounding effect on emotions.
- Aid your immune system by taking Vetiver essential oil internally.* Vetiver oil contains immune-supporting properties and is a great way to fortify your immune system.* For healthy immune support, place a couple of drops of Vetiver essential oil into a doTERRA Veggie Capsule and take it internally.*
- School can be taxing and sometimes stressful for children. After a difficult day at school, help your child relax by applying Vetiver oil to your child’s neck and feet. This will help promote calm and grounded feelings.
- Give your body a little TLC with a Vetiver essential oil bath. For best results, fill the bath tub with warm water and add a couple of drops of Vetiver essential oil the water. These simple steps will provide you with an ideal bath that is perfect for deep relaxation. The aromatic benefits of Vetiver oil will also aid in creating a soothing and calming atmosphere.
- Traveling always comes with certain risks—environmental threats being one of them. To help prepare your body for traveling and a change in environment, take Vetiver essential oil internally. For best results, combine one to two drops of Vetiver oil with Lemon oil in a Veggie Caps capsule. This powerful combination of oils will help support a healthy immune system.*
- Vetiver oil’s aroma is sweet, woody, and smoky–emitting a strong, earthy scent. Use the earthy tones of Vetiver essential oil as a base for your favorite DIY diffuser blends. Adding Vetiver essential oil to a diffuser blend will provide aromatic benefits that have a calming, grounding effect on emotions.
- Sleep is extremely important for the health of both the mind and body. When individuals do not receive adequate hours of sleep or have too many sleepless nights, body functions begin to slow down. To help promote a restful night’s sleep, rub Vetiver oil on the bottom of your feet. Vetiver oil is a great essential oil for sleep and relaxation and can help give your body the sleep it needs.
- Give your body a powerful boost by adding one to two drops of Vetiver essential oil to your tea or hot drinks during the winter months. Vetiver essential oil contains immune-supporting properties that will help fortify your body against seasonal threats.*
- Because of Vetiver oil’s grounding effects, it is commonly used for massages. After a long day of standing, apply a few drops of Vetiver essential oil to your feet and slowly massage the oil in. A Vetiver oil massage is perfect after a long day, and the aromatic features of the oil can also provide a grounding and calming effect on emotions.
- For best use of doTERRA Vetiver oil, here is a simple essential oil tip. Use a toothpick to help get the desired amount of essential oil out of the container if the Vetiver oil is too thick to get out of the bottle. Remember, a little bit goes a long way.
The Vetiver plant, Vetiveria zizanioides, is a member of the grass family. The grass of the plant is a vibrant green color and grows straight and vertical. Unlike other grasses, the root system of Vetiver grows down, making it ideal for helping prevent erosion and providing soil stabilization. The many roots of the plant grow in large clusters underground. doTERRA obtains Vetiver essential oil from the roots of the vetiver plant.
Chemistry of Vetiver Oil
Main Chemical Components: Carvone, isovalencenol, khusimol
The main chemical constituents of Vetiver essential oil are carvone, isovalencenol, khusimol. Both isovalencenol and khusimol are sesquiterpenes that are part of the alcohols functional group. These chemicals have grounding properties and are what make Vetiver essential oil a grounding oil. Carvone is a monoterpene that is a member of the ketones functional group. Carvone contains energizing properties that add to the beneficial chemical properties of Vetiver essential oil. To learn more about the chemical makeup of Vetiver oil or other essential oils, visit the doTERRA Science Blog.
Oils that Blend Well with Vetiver Oil
Vetiver oil blends well with Lavender, doTERRA Serenity®, doTERRA Balance®, Sandalwood, and Lemongrass essential oils.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.