Grapefruit Oil Uses and Benefits
Essential Oil Spotlight
Essential Oil Spotlight
Grapefruit Essential Oil Product Description
Commonly known for its sour and tangy taste, grapefruit is the rotund, yellow-orange fruit of an evergreen citrus tree. Grapefruit essential oil is derived from the rind of this fruit and is cherished for its many uses and benefits. The aroma of Grapefruit essential oil matches the citrus and fruity flavors of its origin and provides an invigorating and energizing aroma. Diffused Grapefruit oil invokes a sense of clarity, and due to its main chemical component, limonine, can help to uplift mood. With its powerful cleansing properties, Grapefruit oil is valued for its skin care benefits and ability to promote the appearance of clear, healthy-looking skin when applied topically. When used internally, Grapefruit oil can help support a healthy metabolism.*
Where to Buy Grapefruit Essential Oil
To buy a pure and potent bottle of Grapefruit oil, visit the Grapefruit essential oil product page.
Essential oils are treasured for their many life-enhancing benefits. However, many essential oils available to purchase are comprised of contaminants and filler substances, which weaken the benefits and effectiveness of the essential oil. To guarantee that the essential oils doTERRA sells are pure, potent, and highly effective, doTERRA places each batch of essential oils through a series of strict tests that determine the purity and potency of each oil. This testing series is called the CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® protocol. Once the oils have gone through the protocol and are found to be potent, pure, and safe, the essential oils are sold so that individuals and families everywhere can experience the enriching benefits of essential oils.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
- Teenage years can be rough, and with constant blemishes making their appearance, feelings of self-consciousness can quickly add to already existing frustrations. For a simple way to help your teenager improve the appearance of blemishes, add Grapefruit essential oil to his or her nightly facial routine (avoid sun exposure for up to 12 hours after applying any citrus oil topically).
- Are you trying to shed some extra weight or stick to a diet? Use Grapefruit essential oil to help you meet your goals. Add a few drops of Grapefruit oil into a diffuser to help increase motivation.
- The fruity and spry flavor of Grapefruit essential oil makes a great addition to a variety of different foods and drinks. To enliven the flavor of your smoothies and also give your body the benefits of Grapefruit oil,* add one to two drops of Grapefruit essential oil to your favorite smoothie. If you are looking for a good way to add a brightness of flavor to your morning, make an Acai Bowl for breakfast and add a drop or two of Grapefruit oil.
- Grapefruit is well-known for its ability to support a healthy metabolism.* Support your metabolism at home or on-the-go by adding one to two drops of Grapefruit oil to your water. This essential oil addition to your drinks will also give your water a flavor-filled and vitalizing boost. Take the benefits of Grapefruit oil wherever you go by carrying it in your purse or briefcase and adding it your water at restaurants or at work.
- Enjoy a soothing massage with Grapefruit essential oil. For a good pick-me-up after a long day, apply Grapefruit oil and massage in needed areas. The Grapefruit oil will leave behind a light, uplifting fragrance and will also help improve the appearance of blemishes where it is applied. For the areas massaged, avoid UV light for up to 12 hours after applying citrus oils topically.
- Improve the relationship with your body by giving it some essential oil care. Rub one to two drops of Grapefruit essential oil on your stomach to help you have a healthy emotional relationship with your body.
- Push the tense feelings away with the aromatic and topical benefits of Grapefruit essential oil. If you are feeling tense or down, rub one to two drops of Grapefruit oil onto your neck and shoulders for positive vibes. Grapefruit essential oil will help promote feelings of vitality and will uplift mood.
- Make sure to spread the effects of Grapefruit essential oil to your entire body by adding it to your body scrubs and body wash. This essential oil addition will emit an invigorating scent and help smooth the skin.
- Often times, reading or studying for long periods of time can cause the mind to wander and lose focus. For those moments when you need a boost to help you study or you are wanting to finish up the last pages of a book, diffuse Grapefruit essential oil. Diffusing Grapefruit oil will help promote a sense of focus while studying or reading.
- For a citrus diffuser blend you can’t get enough of, put two drops of Grapefruit, two drops of Juniper Berry, and one drop of Wild Orange in a diffuser. Limonene, the main chemical constituent of both Wild Orange and Grapefruit oils, will produce the uplifting aroma emitted from this citrus blend, while Juniper Berry’s woody scent will create a calming and grounding effect. You will love the stimulating effects of this amazing blend.
The name “grapefruit” is attributed to the fruits growing in clusters that resemble those of grapes.
The Grapefruit plant, Citrus X paradisi, is a small perennial tree that grows to be 15 to 30 feet high with an equal spread. The leaves of the tree are a lively green color and are ovate in shape. These leaves have an obvious mid-vein down their center and can grow to be four inches long. The tree also produces fragrant, four-petaled flowers that are white in color. The fruit of the tree is grapefruit, which is a rounded fruit with a smooth, finely dotted peel. doTERRA Grapefruit essential oil is extracted from the peel, or rind, of this fruit.
Chemistry of Grapefruit Essential Oil
Main Chemical Components: d-Limonene
The main chemical constituent of Grapefruit essential oil is d-limonene. Limonene is in the monoterpenes group and possesses strong uplifting aromatic characteristics.1 The uplifting benefits found in limonene are what make Grapefruit oil a great oil for aromatic use. Limonene also has the ability to dissolve oils, which makes it a common ingredient in hand cleansers. To learn more about limonene or other chemicals found in essential oils, visit the doTERRA Science Blog.
Oils that Blend Well with Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit blends well with a variety of different essential oils for additional body and mind benefits. For an ideal blend, combine Grapefruit with Frankincense, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary, and Bergamot essential oils for diffusion.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas. Avoid sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying product.
1. "Emotional Aromatherapy: Psychology Meets Chemistry"
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.