Share this cool and creative treat this summer at your next backyard bash.
6 large lemons or 4 medium oranges
Sugar or honey, to taste
4 cups water
2–4 drops Lemon or Wild Orange oil
- Clean and wash fruit. Cut off the top quarter and slice a thin bevel off the bottom of the fruit, so they stand up straight.
- Using a grapefruit knife, carefully remove and save the flesh and juice; be careful not to cut through the bottom. Stand the rinds on a plate or cookie sheet and freeze until solid.
- Combine scooped out flesh and juice with essential oil in a food processor or blender; pulse until mostly pureed then press mixture through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Stir in water; add sugar or honey one tablespoon at a time to taste. Pour mixture into large roasting pan or baking dish, large enough that the liquid isn’t more than one inch deep.
- Freeze for one to three hours. Remove mixture from freezer every half hour and scrape with two forks to break up ice.
- When the granita is frozen, rake until glittery. Scoop into frozen lemon or orange shells and serve.
Tip: For a lemon-mint granita, try four drops of Spearmint oil with lemon juice and fruit, and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.