Originally launched at the 2016 doTERRA One Convention, the doTERRA SPA Mud Mask is infused with the essential oils Myrrh, Juniper Berry, and Grapefruit. These specific oils promote the purifying and detoxifying benefits of the mask while reducing the appearance of fine lines, pores, and wrinkles. For a more in-depth look at the benefits and ingredients of the mask, see our previous post.
Follow the steps below to get the best results:
- Don't wash your face. This may seem counter-intuitive, but in order for the mask to work best, you should apply it directly to dry, unwashed skin. Although most masks require you to wash your face first, taking this step reduces the chance of possible irritation or redness. If you would like to try washing your skin beforehand, we recommend testing it out by using the mask on a small patch of skin first.
- Apply with a foundation or paint brush. While your clean fingertips will also work, using a clean brush minimizes your chances that you’re spreading germs all over your face. It also helps minimize mess in the long run. (Just be sure to clean the brush immediately after so that the mask it easier to get out.)
- Leave on for only the recommended time, and remove with lukewarm water. The doTERRA Mud Mask is formulated with hydrating ingredients like shea butter and chicory root extract, so it won’t dry out your skin like some clay masks. However, if you leave it on for too long, you run the risk of making the mask hard to remove and possibly irritating your skin. Make sure to rinse thoroughly, a few splashes of water will not work. You can use a washcloth to help, but avoid scrubbing your skin.
- Apply toner and moisturizer. Try the Verage® line toner and moisturizer. You can also use the Pore Reducing Toner, Anti-Aging Moisturizer, or Hydrating Cream from the Essential Skin Care line.
- Repeat at least once a week. Everyone’s skin is different, but a basic rule of thumb is to start out using a new mask once or twice a week. If you have very oily skin, you may need to use it more frequently.
Alternative Ways to Use the Mask
Sometimes a full-face mask can seem like too much, especially if you have comination skin. For those days, you can simply use the Mud Mask in your problem areas that need some additional love. Follow the above instructions for a full mask, only targeting the specific areas you want.
Aside from the benefits to your face, did you know that the Mud Mask can help detoxify and deodorize other areas of your body? This is thanks to the ingredients that make up the Mask, namely the malachite extract and berclay. Malachite extract directly contributes to the detoxifying benefits, while berclay, a natural earth clay, contains elements such as copper and zinc that can purify the skin. Here are some other ways to utilize the doTERRA Mud Mask in your everyday life:
- Using the mud mask under your arms works well for quick deodorizing. Before you shower, apply a quarter sized amount of mud mask to your underarms and then rinse off in the shower before you soap up for a quick way to keep smelling fresh all day.
- When your feet in need of some extra attention, the doTERRA Mud Mask is the perfect choice. Apply a thin layer of Mud Mask to the bottom of your feet and ankles and allow to sit for 10 to 20 minutes before rinsing off.