Whether you are traveling for business or for fun, you don't want to leave your oils behind. Wondering how to pack your oils, which oils to take with you, or how to use essential oils to make traveling more enjoyable? Keep reading for the best essential oil travel tips.
Guidelines for flying:
- If you’re only bringing a carry-on bag, you can still take your oils with you (15 mL is way below the TSA limit of 3 oz.). You can only bring as many with you as will fit in one quart-size bag, however. (Remember, this is one quart-size bag per person.) Of course, you can bring whatever oils you would like in your checked luggage, but be sure to still seal them in baggies to protect against spills.
- Because essential oils have potent scents that may irritate others, remember not to open them while on the plane. If you have an oil that you would like to use, put them on before boarding, or put a small amount on a tissue or a terracotta pendant. You can even prepare wipes or diluted sprays ahead of time.
Ideas for traveling by car:
- Keep a small kit in the car by putting your most-used oils in 5/8 dram vials. (Use the doTERRA key chain or find a small padded case to keep them in.) You can put this in the glove compartment, or in a seat pocket. Trust us—you’ll want easy access to your most-used oils while you’re on the road.
- Feeling sleepy? Put some Peppermint oil on a cotton ball and leave it in your air vents. Or, for an extra boost, pull over briefly and place a drop of Wild Orange and a drop of Peppermint in your palm. Put your hands over your nose and inhale deeply. Get your travel buddies to do the same. If you have some time, try creating your own air freshener as included in our past class idea here. Of course, if the driver is feeling very tired, it’s also probably a good idea to stop driving and take a break.
- For the occasional motion sickness, try using DigestZen®, Ginger, or Peppermint to calm the stomach.
Oils great for travel in general:
- DigestZen®. Keep your digestive system on track as you eat out.
- doTERRA Balance®. For the stressful moments of traveling, such as getting on the airport and through security on time.
- doTERRA On Guard®. Helps to support your immune system while traveling. It’s also great to put in a homemade hand cleanser.
- If you need Deep Blue® Rub, doTERRA On Guard toothpaste, or the doTERRA shampoo and conditioner, but you’re only taking a carry-on, try bringing the samples instead of the tubes.