Origin: a Latin derivative
meaning "Gift of the Earth."
If you’ve never used essential oils topically, you’re missing out on the calming, beautifying benefits they offer.
Dozens of essential oils provide soothing, cleansing, softening, and purifying properties to the skin, but which ones are best? Granted, your preferences and skin type will influence this, but these 10 essential oils are some of the best available for the skin.
1. Frankincense: Known as the king of oils, Frankincense essential oil holds soothing properties for the skin. In fact, the ancient Egyptians used the resin for everything from perfume to salves to soothe the skin. This centuries-old knowledge contributes to the modern uses of Frankincense today. Its soothing and beautifying properties rejuvenate the skin when applied topically.
How to Use Frankincense for Your Skin
2. Yarrow|Pom: Yarrow|Pom is a one-of-a-kind proprietary blend of yarrow essential oil and cold-pressed pomegranate seed oil, which offers a variety of powerful skin benefits. This active botanical revitalizes aging skin when applied topically. When taken internally, it may help activate skin-protecting proteins that inhibit elasticity breakdown and promote collagen production.*
Thanks to its skin-soothing and emollient qualities, Yarrow|Pom makes an excellent addition to massage oil, facial cleansers, and any skincare routine.
How to Use Yarrow|Pom for Your Skin
3. Lavender: Not only does Lavender essential oil have a famously calming aroma that people love, but it also offers wonderful benefits to the skin. When used topically, Lavender can keep the skin and scalp looking clean and healthy. It can also soothe minor skin irritations.
As a bonus, the aroma of Lavender helps promote an environment that’s conducive to a good night’s rest, so using this skin-soothing essential oil at bedtime can create a space of relaxation.
How to Use Lavender for Your Skin
4. Tea Tree: Tea Tree essential oil has over 90 different natural compounds in it and limitless applications. It’s renowned for purifying properties and can be used to cleanse the skin and support a healthy-looking complexion. Tea Tree is also effective on occasional skin irritations, soothing the skin. It’s one of the main ingredients in the Verage® Skin Care Collection, as it’s considered a powerhouse product for the skin.
How to Use Tea Tree for Your Skin
5. Helichrysum: Honey-sweet Helichrysum essential oil is known for renewing the skin. Helichrysum is a favorite for the complexion and is often included in antiaging products. It promotes healthy, glowing skin and reduces the appearance of wrinkles, lines, and blemishes.
Helichrysum’s primary constituent is neryl acetate, which has been shown in experimental research to be effective for reducing skin irritations. Neryl acetate supports healthy-looking skin and reduces the appearance of blemishes and wrinkles. Helichrysum essential oil is also rich in acetophenones and phloroglucinols—substances that support healthy-looking skin when applied topically.
How to Use Helichrysum for Your Skin
6. Bergamot: In southern Italy, bergamot has been used for hundreds of years to rejuvenate the complexion. While the aroma of Bergamot essential oil is lovely and uplifting, it also has cleansing properties, which is why it’s commonly used for skincare today. If you use Bergamot topically, make sure to avoid sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying.
How to Use Bergamot for Your Skin
7. Jasmine: The exquisite aroma of jasmine flowers reminds us of romance, euphoria, joy, and splendor. Jasmine essential oil provides several prominent skin benefits. It promotes healthy-looking, glowing skin and reduces the appearance of skin imperfections. It can also be applied to the scalp to help nourish the skin.
How to Use Jasmine for Your Skin
8. Sandalwood: Thanks to the chemical constituent santalol, Sandalwood essential oil is beautifying to the skin. When applied topically, Sandalwood can minimize the appearance of skin imperfections. Sandalwood is a great essential oil to reach for when you want to promote a smooth, healthy-looking complexion.
How to Use Sandalwood for Your Skin
9. Rose: With an exotic and captivating fragrance, Rose essential oil beautifies the skin, making this exclusive gift of the earth a must-have for your beauty routine. Rose aids in balancing the skin’s moisture levels. And because it has astringent qualities, it helps reduce the appearance of skin imperfections when applied topically.
How to Use Rose for Your Skin
10. Roman Chamomile: When applied topically, Roman Chamomile essential oil can be soothing to the skin. Because of its lovely aroma and benefits for the skin, it’s commonly found in face creams, hair dyes, shampoos, and perfumes. As an added benefit, when you use Roman Chamomile on your skin, the lovely aroma stays with you for several hours. The scent of Roman Chamomile is sweet, floral, herbaceous, and soothing.
How to Use Roman Chamomile for Your Skin
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.