- For an at-home spa experience, fill a large bowl with steaming water, then apply 1–2 drops of Hawaiian Sandalwood to your face and cover head with a towel. Place your face above the steaming water. Your skin will feel nourished and rejuvenated.
- Apply 1–2 drops to wet hair to help restore moisture and give hair a silky shine.
- Inhale directly from palms or diffuse to lessen feelings of tension and balance emotions.
- Diffuse or apply to the neck and shoulders at bedtime for a restful night’s sleep.
- Add 1–2 drops to your favorite moisturizer or night cream for smooth, glowing skin.
- Add 1–2 drops to a hot bath to promote relaxation and lessen tension.
What Is Sandalwood Essential Oil Used For?
Sandalwood is a precious essential oil distilled from the fragrant wood of sandalwood trees, which grow in tropical locations including India, Hawaii, Indonesia, Nepal, and Australia. Sandalwood trees are among the most expensive trees in the world and the oil is equally precious. Often used to enhance meditation and promote mindfulness, Sandalwood essential oil has a powerful ability to lessen tension and balance emotions. Thanks to its alluring and calming aroma, Sandalwood is the base note in many exquisite perfumes and aftershaves.
Sandalwood offers powerful grounding and mood-enhancing properties. This is probably due to Sandalwood’s high concentration of the constituent santalol, which makes the oil very grounding and calming. It imparts a sense of well-being and has a beneficial effect on moods.
Is Hawaiian Sandalwood Good For the Skin?
Another benefit of santalol is its beautifying effect on the skin. When applied topically, Hawaiian Sandalwood can minimize the appearance of blemishes, wrinkles, and skin imperfections. Because of its powerful benefits for the skin, Hawaiian Sandalwood is included in many of doTERRA’s skincare products. It also moisturizes the hair and adds a desirable silky feel.
What Is the Best Sandalwood Essential Oil?
There are over 20 varieties of sandalwood, but the two species most revered for their essential oil are Santalum album and Santalum panicultum (Hawaiian Sandalwood). doTERRA offers both these precious varieties, which offer similar benefits. These two Sandalwood oils have nearly identical chemical profiles; Santalum paniculatum’s aroma is slightly sweeter, while Santalum album has a woodier aroma.
Hawaiian Sandalwood grows on the Big Island of Hawaii. For hundreds of years, native Hawaiians used the leaves, bark, and wood shavings of this tree. doTERRA Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil is sustainably sourced from old growth mountain forests; only dead or dying trees are harvested, and the rest are left to grow in the Hawaiian sunshine.