Age Recommendation: 8+
All animals and people must eat food in order to survive, and that includes you! Food provides the basic nutrients you need to grow, learn, move, and play. There are five main types of nutrients you need in order to be healthy. They are: protein, carbohydrates, fat, vitamins, and minerals. Each of these nutrient types is important and accomplishes something different in your body.
Types of Nutrients
- Protein helps build and repair the tissues in your body. It also plays an important role in the structure of your cells. Good sources of protein include meat, dairy, beans, leafy greens, and eggs.
- Carbohydrates (also known as carbs) are an important source of energy for your body. In fact, they’re the main source of energy for your brain. Carbs can be found in all kinds of foods, including whole grains, nuts, vegetables, and fruits.
- Fat also provides your body with energy. Additionally, it helps your body absorb another essential nutrient, fat soluble vitamins. Fats can be found in a lot of different foods, including fish, nuts, dairy, and avocados.
- Vitamins serve a lot of different functions in the body. There are two main kinds of vitamins: fat-soluble vitamins and water-soluble vitamins. Vitamins play a role in many different bodily functions, such as keeping your tissues healthy, helping convert food into energy, supporting good eyesight, and strengthening your bones. Vitamins can be found in fruits and vegetables.
- Minerals are nutrients your body needs to grow and be healthy. They play a role in the health of different parts of your body, including your bones, teeth, blood, and muscles. You can find minerals in almost everything you eat, though different foods provide more than others. Some possible options include nuts, dairy, and green vegetables.
As you can see, there are a lot of nutrients your body needs to stay healthy and strong. Luckily, these nutrients can be found in a variety of sources, including good foods and vitamin supplements, such as doTERRA a2z Chewable™. Knowing what your body needs and where those nutrients can be found is an important step towards lifelong wellness. Check out the other Science for Kids units on nutrition to learn more about these different key nutrients and the role they play in your health.
Recommended reading ages are given as suggestions and a starting point when reading dōTERRA Science for Kids content. You have a better understanding of the needs of your child and what level they are currently working at. Feel free to adjust content to better suit the individual needs of your child.