Submitted by: Lisa Freignag, Michigan
Warm and satisfying, this soup is great for any occasion.
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 large onions, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic finely chopped or pressed
1 tablespoons fresh ginger root, minced
1–2 drops Lemongrass oil
4 tablespoons tomato paste
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 cups vegetable broth
2 cans coconut milk
4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
3 cups dried red lentils
4–6 handfuls baby spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat; add onion, garlic, and fresh ginger. Cook until onion is translucent then add carrots and sauté five to seven minutes.
- Add tomato paste, curry powder, and red pepper flakes; cook for another one to two minutes stirring constantly until all vegetables are coated and flavors combined.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, diced tomatoes, and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil on medium high heat; reduce to simmer (low heat).
- Add Lemongrass essential oil and cook for approx. 30 minutes until lentils are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add spinach and stir until wilted.
- Garnish with one tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro and one tablespoon sour cream.
Tip: Add some brown sugar for a sweeter curry taste.