Adding Lime essential oil in the crust helps to soften the whole wheat taste, without adding an overt citrus flavor.
Crust (Makes two 9-inch pie crusts)
5–9 tablespoons ice cold water
1 teaspoon sea salt
¾ cup unsalted butter, chilled
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1–2 drops Lime oil
5 cups frozen mixed berries
¾ cup raw sugar
¼ cup corn starch
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 drops Lime oil
1 tablespoon water
- Sift flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Cut butter into 12 pieces and rub into dry ingredients until the mixture resembles a crumbly mixture with pea-sized chunks.
- Add Lime essential oil.
- Sprinkle ice water over mixture, one tablespoon at a time and knead lightly until dough forms. Form dough into a ball. Cut in half and press each into a disc shape. Wrap each disc in waxed paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling.
- Roll out both crusts and place first crust in pie dish, leaving the other aside.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Combine all filling ingredients and gently toss to coat and combine. Pour filling into pie dish.
- Put the second crust on top of pie, either by way of lattice-work or full coverage. Crimp pie crust edges.
- Whisk together egg and water, then brush pie crust with the egg wash. Sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 40–60 minutes or until crust is brown.
Tip: Because this crust is whole wheat, it will become more brown more quickly, so you may wish to use a pie shield (if you don't have one, aluminum foil works well) to avoid an overly dark crust.
- Serve the pie at room temperature.
Tip: Fresh, lightly sweetened whipped cream goes nicely as a topper.