Pancakes hold a special place in American breakfasts, but different varieties have been around since before the ancient Greeks. Change up this historical favorite and add in ricotta, a sweet Italian cheese, to get a surprisingly fluffy result.
Adding Lemon oil is our special twist—it not only adds the burst of citrus flavor you would expect, it is packed full components that naturally aid your digestive system.* This is where using the oil along with lemon juice is helpful; you would need to eat a lot of lemons to experience the same effect. We highly recommend adding raspberries as the topping to tantalize your taste buds further and lead this recipe to be a family favorite.
If you’re gluten-free, we also have an option for you. To make this recipe gluten free, or to give the pancakes a subtle coconut flavor to pair with the lemon, substitute the original ingredient with the same amount of the ingredient in parentheses.
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (almond flour)
3 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar (coconut sugar)
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk (coconut milk)
¾ cup ricotta
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 lemon, zested
¼ cup lemon juice
2–3 drops Lemon oil
1 tablespoon melted butter (coconut oil)
1 carton raspberries
- In a medium mixing bowl gently combine dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients: milk, ricotta, eggs, and vanilla and mix well.
- Add melted butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and Lemon essential oil to wet mixture.
- Pour wet mixture into bowl with dry ingredients and combine.
- Grease a griddle or nonstick pan with cooking spray. Heat pan on medium.
- Spoon batter into pan to desired size. Cook first side until batter begins to bubble on top, flip and cook the opposite side until brown.
- Serve with raspberries and maple syrup or honey.
Tip: Don't worry about leaving a few lumps in the batter; it will prevent your pancakes from having a chewy texture from being over-mixed.
See how to make the gluten-free version of these pancakes in the video below.