Gluten free and potentially vegan, depending on the ingredients you choose, this recipe is as close to healthy as you can get for a sweet treat. Whether you spell it doughnut or donut, the Lemon-coconut flavor of this recipe is sure to please even the most picky doughnut lover. And speaking of flavor, did you know that doTERRA Lemon oil comes all the way from Sicily, Italy
? The Mediterranean climate is perfect for creating the best lemons in the world. Our growers there have worked in their orchards for generations, and doTERRA has made it possible for them to continue their family traditions in spite of hard times. Somehow, that fact makes Lemon oil all the sweeter. Buon appetito!Ingredients
1 ½ cups almond flour, or any gluten free flour
½ cup coconut sugar, or brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg, or 1 tablespoon flaxseed with ½ tablespoon water
¼ cup coconut milk
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ cup coconut yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 lemon, zested
1 package white chocolate
¼ teaspoon coconut oil
- In a medium bowl combine almond flour, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine egg, coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut yogurt, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and Lemon essential oil.
- Combine wet ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients and mix until mixture is thick.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place batter into a Ziploc bag, cut a ½ inch hole in the corner.
- Pipe the batter into a greased doughnut pan, or create doughnut shapes on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Let doughnuts cool.
- Combine white chocolate and ¼ teaspoon of coconut oil. Melt using a double boiler. Dip each doughnut into the chocolate. Enjoy!
Tip: To make this recipe vegan, substitute the egg for 1 tablespoon flaxseed with ½ teaspoon water.