Make your next meal a little lighter with these delicious Butternut Squash Pitas. These pitas make a great addition to your next party, or any simple family dinner.
1 butternut squash
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
Kosher salt, to taste
1 tablespoon maple syrup
4 pita breads (6 inch)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
Juice from 1 lime, divided
1–2 drops Lime oil
¼ cup Greek yogurt
2 avocados, sliced
- Split butternut quash vertically and remove seeds.
- Chopped cilantro and toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Brush butternut squash halves with olive oil and place flesh side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Set aside to let cool slightly, then mash in a bowl with cumin, chili powder, maple syrup, and salt.
- Toss black beans with the juice of half a lime, a drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of salt.
- Whisk yogurt with other half of lime juice, Lime oil, and a pinch of salt. Add a little water if needed, until it’s a consistency that can be drizzled.
- Spread butternut squash mixture onto pitas and top with black beans and avocado slices. Drizzle with yogurt mixture and garnish with cilantro and pumpkin seeds.
Tip: For a warm pita, try baking the bread for 10 minutes or until golden and crispy around the edges.