Among the countless benefits of essential oils, one of their most appealing attributes is that they can be used to create a calming atmosphere and promote feelings of peace and harmony. When you have had a long, stressful day, or when you want to combat anxious feelings, calming essential oils provide a quick, natural way for you to create a calm environment that will put you at ease.
Keep reading to discover some of the most calming essential oils and how to use them.
Lavender oil is known as one of the most calming essential oils because it has significant calming and relaxing properties when used aromatically, topically, and internally.* The calming nature of Lavender essential oil makes it useful for easing feelings of tension and can help to promote soothing, positive feelings.* Lavender oil is a popular choice for promoting an atmosphere that is conducive to a good night of sleep, as the light, floral aroma of the oil is useful for creating a calm environment. When you want to take advantage of the calming properties of Lavender oil, consider the following uses:
- Take Lavender internally to reduce anxious feelings.*
- Diffuse Lavender in the bedroom to relax before bed and prepare for a restful night of sleep.
- Add a few drops of Lavender to a warm bath after a long, stressful day to help ease tense feelings.
Buy Lavender Now
An incredibly unique essential oil, Bergamot is known to have both calming and uplifting properties. When stress levels or tensions are high, Bergamot oil provides a wonderful way to promote a calming atmosphere, while simultaneously encouraging uplifting feelings. With its light, citrusy aroma, Bergamot oil is an extremely useful calming essential oil, especially when it comes to dispelling feelings of stress and uplifting mood. If you are ready to learn about the powerful calming properties of Bergamot oil firsthand, try a few of these application methods:
- Diffuse Bergamot at your desk or in your home office to help with high levels of stress or tension.
- Promote a sense of calm and harmony by applying Bergamot to the feet before bedtime.
- Combine Bergamot with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil for a relaxing topical massage at home.
Buy Bergamot Now
The chemical profile of Clary Sage oil makes it one of the most relaxing, soothing, and balancing essential oils—something that people knew even long ago. In the Middle Ages, the Clary Sage plant was used for several purposes because of its soothing properties. Today, Clary Sage essential oil can be highly useful for promoting feelings of relaxation and calm. Take a look at some of the easiest ways to harness the calming properties of Clary Sage oil:
- Combine a few drops of Clary Sage oil with water in a spray bottle and spritz over your pillow before going to bed for a restful sleep.
- Diffuse Clary Sage at the end of a long day to help promote feelings of calmness and relaxation.
- When you need a quick and simple way to relax, apply Clary Sage oil topically to the pulse points (neck and wrists) to help create a sense of calm.
Buy Clary Sage Now
Not only is Roman Chamomile oil known to have calming effects on the skin, mind, and body, but it has a sweet, floral aroma as well.* You may be familiar with the use of Chamomile for teas, however, the uses for Roman Chamomile oil reach far beyond beverages. In ancient times, the Romans used chamomile oil to promote calming feelings of courage before going off to war. Thankfully, these same calming properties can still be useful today. Check out a few simple ways that you might enjoy using Roman Chamomile oil during your daily routine:
- Add one or two drops of Roman Chamomile oil your herbal tea to help soothe the body and mind.*
- Apply Roman Chamomile to the chest over the heart for feelings of well-being.
- When you find yourself in a bad mood, diffuse Roman Chamomile oil to help soothe feelings of anger and irritability.
Buy Roman Chamomile Now
Derived from yellow, star-shaped flowers found on the tropical Ylang Ylang tree, Ylang Ylang oil has several impressive qualities—including its ability to uplift the mood while also having a calming effect. The sweet and spicy floral aroma of Ylang Ylang oil has been known to lessen feelings of stress and tension, while simultaneously promoting a positive outlook. Ylang Ylang is a unique, must-have oil with a wide variety of uses, just a few of them listed below:
- Combine a few drops of Ylang Ylang oil with Epsom salts and place in a warm bath to promote relaxation.
- Apply Ylang Ylang to the back of the neck for a calming, uplifting effect.
- Rub Ylang Ylang oil on the wrists for a natural perfume that will give off a soothing and calming aroma throughout the day.
Buy Ylang Ylang Now
The fresh, floral aroma of Petitgrain oil is not only inviting and comforting, but the oil also provides calming and relaxing benefits that can help to ease feelings of stress. In addition to calming feelings of stress and tension, Petitgrain oil can also be useful at bedtime when you want to create a serene environment for restful sleep. If you haven’t ever tried Petitgrain oil, consider a few of the simple uses below to get you started:
- Take Petitgrain internally to help ease feelings of tension and help calm the nervous system.*
- When you are in the middle of a stressful day, diffuse Petitgrain oil to promote feelings of calmness.
- Spritz a few drops of Petitgrain oil and other calming essential oils like Lavender or Bergamot over your pillows and bedding before sleep to promote feelings of relaxation.
Buy Petitgrain Now
Vetiver oil is known for its grounding, calming effect on the emotions, and for its calming nature. The rich, exotic aroma of Vetiver is quite unique, however, it has the ability to promote grounded, calm feelings after a busy or frazzled day. Whether you are trying to create a calm atmosphere at home for your family, or need to feel grounded again after an emotional day, Vetiver can be very useful for promoting the type of calm feelings you desire. Here are a few ideas for using Vetiver on a daily basis:
- After a difficult day, massage Vetiver oil into the neck and feet to promote feelings of calm.
- Diffuse with other calming essential oils to help calm emotions and lessen stress.
- When you need to calm your emotions, place a drop of Vetiver in the hands, rub the palms together, and inhale the aroma.
Buy Vetiver Now
If you want to create your own custom calming essential oil diffuser blend, consider combining any of the calming oils listed above into your diffuser. Essential oils like Coriander, Basil, Cilantro, and Spikenard also have calming properties when used aromatically, and can be added to your diffuser blend for promoting calmness or relaxation.
If you are looking for calming essential oil blends, try some of doTERRA’s proprietary oil blends that use calming essential oils. Oil blends like ClaryCalm®, doTERRA Balance®, doTERRA Peace®, and doTERRA Serenity® use a combination of calming essential oils to help create a relaxing, calm environment.