Between traffic and seemingly endless lights, you probably end up spending more time than you would probably like to admit in your car. Also thanks to lights and traffic (and humanity), sometimes our emotions tend to run highest while we’re driving. There’s also another issue—over time, the smell in our vehicles can seem stale or just plain funky. Fortunately, aromatherapy can provide relief for both problems. Address unpleasant odors and change the mood in your car with this easy DIY car oil diffuser or air freshener.
7–8 wool felt balls
Ribbon or twine
Essential oils of choice
- Thread a large sewing needle with enough thread for seven to eight felt balls. Pierce through the center of each wool felt ball until you have enough to make a complete circle.
- Knot the thread between the connecting wool felt balls to form a circle.
- Cut a length of ribbon or twine long enough to fit over your rearview mirror. Thread it through the circle and tie it off at the top. Cut off any excess twine or ribbon.
- Hang your new DIY car oil diffuser in your car.
- When you want to change the environment in your car to uplift, energize, or calm you, add a drop of your essential oil of choice to each ball. Get creative and use a few different oils at one time for a unique scent.
Tip: If you don’t want to hang the homemade oil diffuser on your rearview mirror, you can also keep it in your cup holder, or hang it using one of the hanger hooks in back where passengers can enjoy it.
Watch how to make this easy air freshener below!