As a new business builder in doTERRA, it can be easy to focus solely on essential oils and ignore talking about the business building opportunity. After all, the effectiveness of the products and your personal experiences with them make them easy to share. Meanwhile, you might be hesitant to bring up the compensation plan for fear of turning people off to the idea of doTERRA at all.
While it is possible to start a business by focusing on product, you’d be surprised how much more effective just mentioning the business opportunity can be to help you grow a team. Many top leaders have recognized the power of talking about the business. When asked what she would do differently if she could start over in her business, Rhonda Ford, Presidential Diamond, says, “I really wish that I had taken more time to talk about the business, because when I taught classes my first year I didn’t even bring it up. I just felt uncomfortable doing that. But, I’ve since had people say to me, ‘Why didn’t you tell me about this opportunity sooner?’ People were interested and I had no idea.”
To motivate you further, read on for a list of the top seven reasons to talk about the business with others:
- You won’t know who is interested in the business until you bring it up. Don’t fall into the trap of discounting someone as a potential business builder because, “they already have a job” or “they won’t be interested.” There are many excuses not to tell someone, but only the person you present the opportunity to has the power to say yes or no.
- Talking about the business from the start creates awareness of the option. If you focus on making others aware of the business opportunity, you can put the option in their minds. Who knows? Perhaps someone will come back to you months later because they’ve had an experience with the oils or experienced a change in life plans and now they want to get involved.
- It’s the only way to actually grow your frontline. While some people might approach you first about doing the business (it does happen sometimes), most people who would be excellent builders won’t approach you about the business unless they have heard about the opportunity from you.
- It will build up your confidence in your capabilities as a leader. Talking about the business is intimidating, likely because you’ve never done it before. However, once you start mentioning the business as part of your classes or when you introduce doTERRA to someone, you will be surprised at how easy it becomes over time.
- You find out where people really want to be with doTERRA. Most people who buy doTERRA are customers only, but some, given the option, become strong sharers and builders. Mentioning the business opportunity can help you separate out who is who.
- You can still be product-focused and also mention the business. The business opportunity doesn’t need to take over your focus, but it can enhance your message as a Wellness Advocate. When you show that you care about all aspects of people’s lives, not just about their health, your message becomes more well-rounded.
- It can change lives for the better. Just as the oils have changed people’s lives, so too can the compensation plan. For those who are looking for supplemental income or to replace their income*, doTERRA can be a game-changer.
*Results not typical. Average earnings are less. See the doTERRA Opportunity and Earnings Disclosure Summary.