The Japanese-sourced Hinoki essential oil has a woodsy, relaxing aroma that makes it the ideal aromatic companion to your zen garden. This essential oil can be added directly to the sand of your personal garden so you are accompanied by an aroma to help you find your center while practicing zen meditation.
Share what you create by tagging us on Instagram using @doterraca!
Put your mind at peace! Regular meditation and relaxation are part of a balanced wellness lifestyle, which means those quiet moments you crave are not just wanted—they are needed. You may have heard the term “zen” to describe moments of tranquility, but there is even more to it. Zen is a Japanese sect of Mahayana Buddhism that focuses on using meditation to achieve a state of awareness and enlightenment. So, although zen does mean you are at peace, it’s more a conscious effort of mindfulness. This is exactly the purpose of a zen garden, and this perfectly personalized DIY zen garden is an easy way to get started on your meditation.
- 1-2 drops Hinoki essential oil
- A shallow container of your choosing—wood, metal, glass, etc.
- Fine sand in the color of your choosing
- Geodes, crystals, and/or polished or traditional outdoor stones
- Small plastic plants or figurines (optional)
- Mini rake (typically available at craft stores)
- If you cannot find a small rake, you can also use a mini back scratcher, skewers, toothpicks, or forks
- Add one to two drops of Hinoki essential oil to your sand. Mix together until the oil seems evenly dispersed.
- Pour the sand into your container and shake it from side-to-side to even it out.
- Place your geodes, crystals, or stones into your zen garden as desired. You can also add any small plastic plants or figurines.
- Begin creating your own sand patterns with your mini rake. Enjoy!