Which aromas remind you of father figures in your life? When we think of admirable men, with think of strength. Aromas like the outdoors, woods, and strong, rich spices come to mind for their earthy, grounded scents! This recipe brings the best of these aromas together in a delicious dish to celebrate the great men in your life. The best part about this apple crisp recipe is that it can be made at home or hauled with you on a camping trip to make as a spiced Dutch oven treat in the fire.
- 4 - 6 Granny Smith apples
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon (roughly, to taste), plus additional for dusting apples
- 1 tsp each ground clove and nutmeg (roughly, to taste)
- 1 drop Cinnamon essential oil
- 2 drops Clove Bud essential oil
- Core, peel, and chop the apples. Add them to the bottom of a Dutch oven or glass baking dish, then dust lightly with cinnamon and set aside.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, soften (do not melt) the cube butter.
- Add brown sugar, flour, oats, and essential oils to the softened butter. Sprinkle in ground cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg to taste.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon or clean hands until ingredients have combined into a crumble. Sprinkle the crumble generously over the apples.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 190 °C in the oven, or cook over a campfire until the sugar and apple creates a simmering syrup and the crumble has become crisp.
- Serve a heaping portion hot beside a large scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This is a recipe by dads, for dads! It’s sure to become his new specialty treat, plus it’s an easy recipe for the whole family to prepare together. What are you waiting for? Get the gang together, set out into the outdoors (or even just the back porch!) and bake up a batch of crumbly, spiced goodness. Don’t forget to post what you make on Instagram and Facebook, and tag us (@doterraca)! We want to see your take on this recipe.