Gingerbread cookies are a staple in Autumn. Filled with Cinnamon, Ginger and Clove essential oils, these cookies are flavour-packed treats to brighten a rainy day at home with the kids. Get your doTERRA cookie cutters and your rolling pin out of the drawer – it’s time to bake!
400gr all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
170gr unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
100gr brown sugar
1 large egg
100gr of unsulfured molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 drops Cinnamon Bark essential oil
2 drops Ginger essential oil
2 drops Clove essential oil
Optional tip: Add the zest of a small orange or a drop of Wild Orange essential oil for a citrus twist
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, molasses, vanilla, and keep mixing until combined. Gradually add the flour mixture. Finally, add the essential oils and combine until you reach a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Form each portion into a ball and flatten them into thick disks. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To bake the cookies, heat the oven to 175°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Sprinkle the kitchen counter with some flour and roll the dough evenly. Use your doTERRA cookie cutters to cut out your desired shapes and re-roll the dough as needed to cut out more.
- Bake for 8–10 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Top with icing if desired.