Creating a healthy lifestyle
Do you have a goal to create an overall healthy lifestyle? Whether that is eating healthier, doing more exercise or focusing on your mental health, this lifestyle change will take time and patience. You may find that some days, it can be hard to stay motivated. When you feel like giving up, it’s important to take action in small ways to make sure you stay on track and accomplish your goals.
Here are a few tricks to help you stay focused:
- Be prepared – if you head to the gym first thing in the morning, have your gym bag packed with all your essentials the night before. This way, you can wake up and walk straight out the door knowing you have everything you need. Make sure to have your alarm set so you don’t sleep in. You could even have a few alarms that go off every 5-10 minutes to ensure you don’t fall back asleep!
- Create a routine – Whether that is practicing yoga in the morning or going for a nice walk after work, creating a routine and sticking to it will help you stay on track. Some days this can be hard, but just remember there is always tomorrow. So instead of feeling bad about what you didn’t do, focus on your successes throughout the day. You could even ask a friend to join the gym with you or go to classes to help you stay motivated!
- Track your progress – It’s important to keep track of your progress to make sure you are on the right path to achieving your healthy lifestyle goal. You can do this weekly, monthly or whenever it suits you. This can either help you find areas for improvement or celebrate your achievements. There are many apps that you can use to track your progress. Nike+ Training Club is a great way to get started, with the app providing a variety of workouts to suit your goals. If you want to track your food intake then My Fitness Pal is the way to go, with one of the biggest food databases, it makes keeping track of food so simple!
- Reward yourself – This can help ensure that with whatever you do, be it exercise or eating healthy, you give it your all. Putting in the hard work will make your reward that much more special! Rewards don’t have to be food related, they can be time out to focus on yourself or maybe that piece of jewellery you’ve had your eye on!
Some other ways you can reward yourself are:
- Read a book you enjoy
- Watch one or two episodes of your favourite show, guilt-free
- Enjoy an at-home spa day
- Get a manicure/pedicure
- Take yourself out to breakfast
- Make a gourmet dessert
Reward yourself with things that will motivate you and help you get off the couch and get moving.
Incorporating these four tips can help you get started on your healthy lifestyle and on your way to achieving your wellness goals!