Part of the doTERRA Spa line launched at the 2017 doTERRA AU/NZ Convention, the Mud Mask is an essential-oil infused with Myrrh, Juniper Berry, and Grapefruit. These specific oils promote the purifying and cleansing benefits of the mask while reducing the appearance of fine lines, pores, and wrinkles.
Follow the steps below to get the best results:
- Don't wash your face. This may seem counter-intuitive, but in order for the mask to work best, you should apply it directly to dry, unwashed skin. Although most masks require you to wash your face first, taking this step reduces the chance of possible irritation or redness. If you would like to try washing your skin beforehand, we recommend testing it out by using the mask on a small patch of skin first.
- Apply with a foundation or paint brush. While your clean fingertips will also work, using a clean brush minimises your chances that you’re spreading germs all over your face. It also helps minimise mess.
- Leave on for only the recommended time, and remove with lukewarm water. The doTERRA Mud Mask is formulated with hydrating ingredients like shea butter and chicory root extract, so it won’t dry out your skin like some clay masks. However, if you leave it on for too long, you run the risk of making the mask hard to remove and possibly irritating your skin. Make sure to rinse thoroughly, a few splashes of water will not work. You can use a washcloth to help, but avoid scrubbing your skin.
- Apply toner and moisturiser. Try the Verage® line toner and moisturiser. You can also use the Pore Reducing Toner, Anti-Aging Moisturizer, or Hydrating Cream from the Essential Skin Care line.
- Repeat at least once a week. Everyone’s skin is different, but a basic rule of thumb is to start out using a new mask once or twice a week. If you have very oily skin, you may need to use it more frequently.
The Mud Mask can help more than the skin on your face. Emily Wright and other Wellness Advocates have discovered that using the mud mask under your arms works well for quick deodorising. Before you shower, apply some mud mask to your underarms and then rinse off in the shower for a quick way to minimse odour and keep smelling fresh.