Aromatic Hand Warmers
Microwaveable hand warmers are easy to make and reuse. For fabric consider upcycling an old cotton or flannel shirt, but be sure to select a fabric that is natural, as synthetic fabrics may melt or burn when heated. Store with clothing or linen to freshen your closet, and replenish hand warmers with essential oils when desired, and enjoy!
Essential oil of choice
- Cut out two 10cm x 10cm squares for every hand warmer desired.
- Sew all of the fabric sides together (right sides facing), leaving a few inches open on one side.
- Turn fabric right side out.
- In a medium bowl mix flaxseed with essential oil. Use three to five drops of essential oil for every cup of grain (this results in a pretty strongly scented hand warmer.) Mix and allow to sit for 5–10 minutes.
- Fill the hand warmers with the grain mix to about ¾ full and then stitch closed.
- Heat hand warmers 25–30 seconds in the microwave, allow to sit for about 30 seconds and then place in pockets to warm your hands.
NOTE: Follow warming instructions and be cautious not to overheat bag. Handle with care as the contents may be hot.
Tips: To fill the hand warmers you can use wheat, rice, or flaxseed. For this DIY we used flaxseed which seems to hold heat well and has a less distinguishable smell than other grains.