Working from home is becoming the new normal. Whether you’re self-employed or work in a corporate office and have transitioned into a working from home arrangement, you will want to avoid easy distractions like laundry, going for long walks or even binging Netflix. This is why having a work schedule and sticking to it is important. Follow these steps to help you stay focused when working from home.
- Have a dedicated workspace – It may be tempting to stay in bed or easy to sit on the couch but this might end up causing you some physical issues and often you would be very close to the TV which is an obvious distraction. Your dedicated workspace doesn’t have to be huge, it could be as simple as setting yourself up at a kitchen table or a room but it is necessary to ensure you are productive.
- Create a schedule – Start your day with writing down your top priorities followed by going through your emails to see what your day looks like. Fit these priorities in through the day allowing yourself for a quick 10-15 minute break in between each task. If you often find that you’re more productive in the morning, block out some time to brainstorm and complete critical tasks at that time. If you prefer to go with the flow, then don’t stress over schedules, just make sure you have an idea of what you would like to accomplish and try to stay on task.
- Save household chores for later – It’s easy to think about running the dishwasher during work or taking a break to vacuum but doing so could interrupt your focus. Just like everything else, set aside a time each day to focus on your chores instead of weaving it throughout your work day. This could mean doing 10 minutes of chores before you start your work day and 10 minutes at the end of the work day.
- Take a break – Your physical health is very important when working from home. It could be something simple as stepping outside to get some fresh air or going for a quick walk around the block. If you have a little more time on your hands, schedule a sweat session into your work day. You can find many workout tutorials online whether it’s a chill afternoon with yoga or a fast paced HIIT session.
- Use oils – doTERRA has a range of oils that work wonders when it comes to staying focused. InTune® Roll On Focus Blend provides an enlivening aroma and combined with a deep breath may help reset your focus. Simply try applying it to the temples and back of neck when doing tasks that require extra attention. If you’re looking to put your diffuser to work, then check out doTERRA Motivate® Encouraging Blend. With a combination of mint and citrus essential oils, doTERRA Motivate has an invigorating scent, ideal to help promote feelings of confidence, courage and belief, or when working on a project at work.
Maintaining focus when working from home can be tricky, but with these helpful hints, you might find that you are more productive that ever. What are some ways of your favourite ways to stay focused when working remotely?