Origin: a Latin derivative
meaning "Gift of the Earth."
Tea Tree oil possesses over 92 different compounds and, as such, possesses almost endless ways it can be used for wellness. But what is Tea Tree oil? It comes from the Melaleuca plant which hails from Australia, where it was a daily necessity for the ancient peoples there. The Bundjalung Aboriginal people from the coast of New South Wales would apply the leaves directly to the skin for a cooling effect. Over time, the knowledge of Melaleuca’s numerous benefits spread worldwide, leading up to its popular use today. So, how do you use Tea Tree oil? Keep reading to learn about the benefits of Tea Tree oil and how to use Tea Tree oil in your everyday life. Bottle of dōTERRA Tea Tree oil, also called Melaleuca oil, green sprigs, and white flowers. Can you use tea tree oil for skin? Due to the cleansing properties of tea tree oil, it is a very useful essential oil for promoting healthy skin.
Tea Tree Oil Uses and Benefits
1. One common use of Tea Tree oil is for haircare. Many people use Tea Tree oil for hair because of its topical cleansing, rejuvenating, and purifying properties. Unlike chemical-ridden haircare products, Tea Tree oil offers a soft, gentle element to any haircare routine.
2. Are your makeup brushes in need of some deep cleaning? Tea Tree oil’s benefits for skin and cleansing properties come together in this Makeup Brush Cleanser with Tea Tree oil. Over time, your makeup brushes get covered in old makeup and dead skin cells. If you don’t want to be spreading that all over your face, you’ll need to give your brushes a good cleaning every once in a while.
3. Diffusing Tea Tree oil benefits the air in your home because it purifies and freshens as it disperses. When diffusing Tea Tree oil on its own, use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice. Looking for a revitalizing diffuser blend that will freshen and purify any room? Add two drops of Lemon, two drops of Eucalyptus, one drop of Tea Tree oil, and one drop of Peppermint to your diffuser for a rejuvenating diffuser bend that will cleanse the air and awaken your senses.
4. The use of Tea Tree oil as a skin cleanser and toner was first discovered by the ancient Aboriginal peoples of Australia. Today many people continue to use Tea Tree oil for skin because of these purifying and toning properties. You can achieve clean, glowing skin with the help of Tea Tree oil by simply including it in your daily skincare routine. Consider adding one to two drops of Tea Tree oil to your facial cleanser or moisturizer for added cleansing properties. Making Tea Tree oil a part of your daily skin routine will help keep your skin clean, toned, with a healthy appearance.
5. Tea Tree oil can also be used to help soothe occasional skin irritations. When you experience occasional skin irritations, apply one to two drops of Tea Tree oil onto the affected area, using dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to dilute the oil if necessary. The skin cleansing properties of Tea Tree oil reach further than just helping with the occasional skin irritation, so it is a good idea to make Tea Tree oil a regular part of your skincare routine.
6. The same purifying properties in Tea Tree oil can also be very helpful for cleaning surfaces—especially throughout the home. Tea Tree oil is a good choice for homemade cleaners due to its ability to protect against environmental and seasonal threats. If you want an effective homemade cleaner, add a few drops of Tea Tree oil to a spray bottle with water and use on surfaces throughout the house. This mixture will help protect you and your family against environmental threats, and purify all your surfaces with the herbaceous, green scent of Tea Tree oil.
7. The purifying properties of Tea Tree oil aren’t just good for hair and skin, you can also use Tea Tree oil to keep your fingernails and toenails looking and feeling healthy. Reap the benefits of Tea Tree oil for nails by applying some oil to your fingernails and toenails after you get out of the shower. When using Tea Tree oil topically, first dilute with dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to prevent against any skin sensitivity, and then apply a few drops to your skin.