Wintergreen Oil Product Description
As part of the a doTERRA Co-Impact Sourcing® initiative, Wintergreen essential oil is sourced in rural regions of Nepal. The minty Wintergreen oil is extracted from the leaves of a creeping shrub and contains a unique chemical component called methyl salicylate. This chemical contains strong soothing properties and naturally occurs in only two plants worldwide—birch and wintergreen. Because of its distinctive natural constituents, Wintergreen oil is treasured for its topical benefits and is commonly used in lotions, creams, and oral hygiene products. The soothing sensations of Wintergreen oil also make it an ideal component for massages. Wintergreen essential oil has a prominent scent that is sweet, minty, and refreshing. This aroma can be both uplifting and stimulating to the senses.
Where to Buy Wintergreen Oil
To buy a pure and potent bottle of Wintergreen, visit the Wintergreen oil
product page or order from a local doTERRA Wellness Advocate.
When purchasing essential oils, it is crucial to find oils that are both potent and pure. These two qualities are large contributors to the effectiveness of each oil in meeting individual needs. The potency of an essential oil begins with the plant itself. When a plant is grown in optimal soil, temperature, and climate, and then harvested at the right time, it enhances the potency of the plant’s essential oil. Just as Wintergreen oil is sourced in Nepal as part of a doTERRA Co-Impact Sourcing
initiative, doTERRA grows their plants in optimal growing locations around the world that are harvested and distilled by experienced native professionals. This sourcing process allows for doTERRA essential oils to build and retain maximum potency.
In order to produce the purest essential oils, doTERRA puts each of their oils through the CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade®
protocol. This protocol contains a series of strict tests that determine the purity of each batch of essential oils. When the oils are found free of contaminants and are deemed completely pure, the oils qualify to be sold. These specific harvesting and testing methods make sure that the doTERRA oils that you receive are pure, potent, and highly effective for your needs.
Wintergreen Oil Uses and Benefits
- Because Wintergreen oil contains rich chemical components such as methyl salicylate, it is an ideal oil for massages. For a warming and soothing experience, add Wintergreen oil to your post-workout massage. This will aid in renewing both mind and body. When using Wintergreen essential oil, remember that a little bit goes a long way, and make sure to dilute Wintergreen oil with Fractionated Coconut Oil to reduce any possibilities of skin sensitivity.
- Bring the freshness of Wintergreen essential oil into your home by placing a few drops of Wintergreen oil into your diffuser. The scent of Wintergreen essential oil ushers in the clarity of the open outdoors while adding the sweet, minty smell of evergreens. Along with its clean aroma, diffusing Wintergreen oil will help promote an uplifting and stimulating effect on the senses.
- Trying to mask unpleasant odors? You’re in luck! Wintergreen essential oil has a very strong and pleasant scent that will work to cover up powerful odors. Next time you go to the gym, place a few drops of Wintergreen oil on a cotton ball and place it in your gym bag. This will mask the smell of sweaty gym clothes with a sweet and minty aroma.
- After a long day, take some time to relax, and pamper yourself with a Wintergreen bath. Simply add 1–2 drops of Wintergreen oil to warm bath water and enjoy the soothing sensations of Wintergreen essential oil. The Wintergreen oil will help to soothe the body, and its aroma will have a positive and uplifting effect on the mind.
- Skin blemishes—everyone gets them. However, sometimes they can cause you to feel embarrassed or vulnerable. Get rid of that self-conscious feeling by incorporating Wintergreen essential oil into your daily routine. Apply Wintergreen essential oil to your skin to help reduce the appearance of blemishes and feel comfortable and confident inside your own skin.
Wintergreen oil is one of the lowest yield essential oils.
The wintergreen plant, Gaultheria fragrantissima, that doTERRA uses for their essential oils are grown and harvested in the mountainous regions of Nepal. The wintergreen plant is a shrub that is found in coniferous areas. The leaves of the plant are rich green in color and contain a prominent central vein. doTERRA Wintergreen oil is extracted from the leaf of the Wintergreen plant.
Chemistry of Wintergreen Oil
Main Chemical Component: Methyl salicylate
The main chemical component of Wintergreen essential oil is methyl salicylate. Methyl salicylate is a rare organic chemical that is naturally found in only two plants across the world—the birch and wintergreen plants. This chemical contains both soothing and renewing properties. Methyl salicylate is part of the esters functional group. Some esters, such as Wintergreen oil, can be applied topically to reduce the appearance of blemishes and to provide a soothing and warming sensation when applied topically to muscles. To learn more about esters, methyl salicylate, or other chemical components found in essential oils, visit the doTERRA Science Blog
Oils that Blend Well with Wintergreen Oil
Not for internal use. Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.