Fresh and colorful ingredients makes for a salad that is both tasty and appealing. Enjoy this delicious rainbow salad with fresh tomato-basil dressing.
2 plum tomatoes
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1–3 drops Basil oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Pinch of sugar (optional, to cut acidity of tomatoes)
4 summer squash
8 radishes, very thinly sliced
4 shallots, very thinly sliced
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1½ cups shaved parmesan
1 cup sunflower seeds
- Using a mini food processor, puree the tomato; you should have about a half cup.
- In a small bowl, whisk together tomato puree, minced garlic, champagne vinegar, olive oil, and Basil oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add sugar to taste if desired.
- Trim ends from zucchini and summer squashes. Using a spiralizer fitted with the small shredder blade, cut the zucchini and squash into spaghetti-like spiral strands, using kitchen shears to cut the curls every three or four rotations.
- Transfer zucchini and squashes to a large bowl. Add radishes, shallots and cherry tomatoes. Add the vinaigrette to taste and toss to evenly distribute.
- Top with parmesan shavings and sunflower seeds and serve immediately.
Tip: If you don't have a spiralizer, or if you want a more fettuchini texture, you can use a vegetable peeler to slice the zucchini and squash lengthwise, and then a paring knife to cut the slices into narrower strips.